Threads for Longarm Machines

Signature Threads       Madeira Threads      Vertical Spool Holder

What makes a quilt a quilt? The thread that holds everything together!

When working on a longarm quilting machine, you need a whole different type of thread than what is used on a home sewing machine. Yes, the threads look the same, but they are TOTALLY different and made to different specifications!

Longarm University sells two brands of quality threads for use on longarm quilting machines - Signature 100% cotton, in both solid and variegated colors, and Madeira High Sheen Polyester thread. Both of these threads work EXTREMELY well in all brands of quilting machines.

Cindy's Note: I personally use these threads on my own quilts and on my customer's quilts. I don't sell thread (or anything else) that I don't or would not use. When making a quilt, there are many elements that need to come together to create it. One of the most important elements of doing ANYTHING is taking the time to do things well.

Signature Thread

For generations, quilters have relied on the versatility and dependability of cotton thread to craft heirloom pieces. Signature® Machine Quilting thread, designed for longarm quilting machines and enjoyed by many home sewers, is a high quality product that offers excellent sew-ability with high speed multi-directional designs, free motion, and general sewing techniques.

For generations, quilters have relied on the versatility and dependability of cotton thread to craft heirloom pieces. Signature® Machine Quilting thread, designed for longarm quilting machines and enjoyed by many home sewers, is a high quality product that offers excellent sew-ability with high speed multi-directional designs, free motion, and general sewing techniques.

This thread comes in both solid colors and variegated colors.

To view the Signature Solid Color Chart Click Here

To view the Signature Variegated Color Chart Click Here

To go to the Signature Thread page to view the colors available and to purchase these threads Click Here

Madeira High Sheen Poly Thread

Madeira's high sheen polyester thread is constructed of a specially developed raw material which eliminates looping, puckering and virtually all thread breaks. Suitable for almost any application, the unique formula makes this thread extremely durable and smooth running. The vibrant colors are silky and luxurious.

Madeira high sheen polyester thread is an excellent choice for longarm quilters. I use the thread in both the top and the bobbin with little or no problems. This is the thread that I use instead of "true" metallic threads.

This thread comes in both solid colors and variegated colors.

To go to the Madeira Thread page to see the colors available and to  purchase these threads Click Here

Vertical Specialty Thread Holder for
Gammill Quilting Machines

When I was using specialty threads, especially thread wound on small spools, I had many tension problems. I believe this was because, when small spools were used on the horizontal thread holder (on the top of the machine), the angle of the horizontal thread holder made it impossible to thread the machine correctly. Also, many times the small spool on the horizontal thread holder would “backlash” and spin backwards tangling up the thread. I was ready to never use specialty threads again!

Then I began thinking …. If I could put the small spools of thread on the “regular” thread spindle at the back of the machine it would allow the machine to be threaded correctly, with the thread going through all the thread guides and tension disks.

After some trial and error, I designed this Vertical Specialty Thread Spindle for my own use on my Gammill Quilting machine. I was back to using specialty threads again and the Vertical Specialty Thread Spindle is now available to Gammill machine owners.

The Vertical Specialty Thread Spindle is a five piece set of two different sized posts that screw in to the “regular” spindle of your quilting machine. There are also three different sized ¼ inch acrylic disks that complete the set. Complete instructions for use are included along with Tips for Use. The metal is custom crafted and the disks are laser cut.

Vertical Specialty Thread Holder, Gammill Machines

This is a five piece set of laser cut, 1/4 inch acrylic disks and custom made threaded posts. Complete instructions included. 

$25.00